Saturday, December 13, 2008

Drift Away

"You know, I usually don't pick up 'strangers' at 3am," I said.

She knew I was full of shit from a nite of teasing, "Har, har. Technically we're not 'strangers' since we've been drinking together all nite." Now that's what I like to hear, "Hop in."

By this point, all the dancing was done. She knew why I stopped, I knew why she got in. We're both on auto-pilot. And it feels unbelievably good.

The nite started with me at work in the restaurant. When dinner is done, the music goes up and the lites go down. That's when the fun begins and the serious good-time folks come out. Even among them, she stood out. Ivory-soap skin, bright blue eyes, little frame; you'd think she was a just a pretty girl-next-door type. Except for the look in those bright blue eyes. That look betrayed her intentions and gave me mine.

Blue Eyes is the friend of a super-cute coworker of mine with the same description. But I look like hell, 16-hr days don't agree with me. Fatigue, and whiskey, lowers inhibitions and kills the bug up my @ss. My hand on her soft, warm hip helps the other 16 hours to drift away.

Restaurants can be so incestuous and Coworker is new, but easily fits in. She's got her eye on a male coworker who is clueless. I'm not. Blue Eyes is not and she's got a plan. "Has he kissed her yet?" she asks me. "How should I know? Who the hell are you again?" She continues, "He NEEDS to kiss her."

Seeing Blue Eyes is more concerned with her friend's success than her own, I decide to help it along a little. I wait for the right time and pull Clueless aside to share BE's thoughts on the matter. "Really?!" he asked, he wasn't sure, but he got the picture. And I got bonus points only BE could see.

Fast forward a couple venues, Blue Eyes and I are getting comfy with the ebb and flow. I have to make the rounds and so I leave to work the room. But I make sure to check back on her fun. This also completely blows out any boys who are hoping she'll like them.

I know Blue Eyes is out to have a fun nite and she is, go-on girl. I make my way around the room, yet for some reason it feels like I'm setting up the entire room for what I'm sure will happen later. I talk to a couple friends, bartender, security, dude with the bad-ass jacket, cute girl from India, all's well. And FINALLY Clueless has kissed Coworker. And they haven't stopped in 20mins.

Hmm, it looks like Blue Eyes is exchanging numbers with some guy. No biggie. Did you happen to catch the look in her eye, kid? You've been talking for 15 mins and she wanted a kiss in 2. I kinda feel bad for him. And her! because I already know how that's going to go down. But I was more curious to see what other guys COULD do and WOULD do with her. I felt like a teacher watching a student fuck up a project. At any time, I can step in and finish what you're flailing away trying to do.

I get a text to go next door. Deal. And I'm gone. Coworker and Clueless are lip locked. Blue Eyes is watching the continuous disaster that is in front of her, it could go on for hours and it's not going anywhere. (This is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine sure to be discussed in detail at a later time.) Right now, I'm out the door to see a couple friends.

Once I bounce back, everyone is gone. It's 3am, what'd you expect?! Hmm, guess I lost out, oh well. But, for some reason, I don't believe it. Not for a second.

Still, I'm walking to my car alone. Tired, happy, buzzed and tired. (Yeah, tired x 2.) Behind the wheel, all I want is my bed and sleep. That's it. No thought of what else the nite could have been. It was a good nite.

When...what's this? Someone walking home alone? A girl alone in this 'hood? I think I recognize that hat. Yeah, I've already studied that walk. Earlier in the nite it was a prance. Sadly, it's less enthusiastic now.

Until I slow the car a half block ahead of her. Until she jogs to the passenger side. The spring in her step and knowing smile are now back where they belong.

"You know, I don't usually pickup 'strangers' at 3am."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might be a little of a romantic- hmmm. I am curious to see if something developed beyond that night. Do tell.

DCVibe said...

a0m0y7, thanks for the comments. But alas, she is now gone, moved overseas a week later. That night may have existed because she did. But I won't soon forget those blue eyes. Romantic? I've been called worse. ;)