Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Am Woman

"...Hear me roar, in numbers too big to ignore..."
Why the HELL did I wake up singing that?! I'm NOT a woman. I haven't heard that song in years. I don't even know any other words in it! But I do know the mind is a great problem solver and maybe it has a little to do with Miss Marathon. Because Miss Marathon has a lot to do with my quandary.

You know I am continuously amazed. And I was yet again this weekend. After a long bike ride, I went over to MM's place. (She is a good friend and nothing more, dear reader.) She had recently done some redecorating and I was playfully critiquing it using the ancient principles of Feng Shui.

I teasingly pointed out her "Wealth and Career" area was pristine. Her "Friends and Family" was spotless. But, ah! "What's this?" I said, "Your Love and Marriage is a complete mess!" You know, sometimes a big brother's teasing hits a soft spot. She melted.

As we talked, she shared I was indeed right, her love life was a mess and she was losing hope "it" was going to happen. While I listened, all I could think of was, "NO! No, no no, no no, no no NO!"

MM is one of those strong women truly worthy of a man's attention, love and respect. She is also someone who routinely kicks my ass. On the ski slope. On most any topic of discussion. She had just done it on a bike 15 minutes earlier! Yet crumbled in seconds. And my heart went out to her.

Sadly, I don't think this is just her issue. The more I talk about this, the more I realize this issue is common for both men and women. I'm dumbfounded. And I'm concerned.

If I were to ask who initiates the interaction in a relationship, what would the answer be; Men or Women? OK, now if I were to ask to what percent? 50%, 60%, 70%, more? Got an answer? Are you sure? Don't bet on it.

Ninety percent of ALL interaction is initiated by women. 90%! That percentage holds true for birds, for bees, for you and all of nature. Even though we are fully autonomous, civilized, college educated, etc. We are still subject to the laws of nature.

Typical interaction: Female sees Male of Interest, she chooses to send signals of interest, male picks up those signals and flies across the barn, walks across the field or tries looking cool while approaching on the dance floor, and the interaction begins. (Men often get credit for the initiation because they are the ones who PHYSICALLY moved toward the female, but it was HER signals that started it.)
If there were only one rule to attraction I could express it's this: Women Choose.
What does this mean for Miss Marathon and numbers too big to ignore? It means control over "it" happening is in her hands. Focusing on fashion is fun, but secondary. Being "that kind of girl" isn't necessary. Just as lamenting no one is approaching is a waste of time and effort because you won't get back either. Realize your power and learn to use it. For good or bad is up to you. ;)
To my fellow boys I say: Learn what a female signal of interest is. And when you recognize one, move toward her. Birds do it without thinking twice.

No comments: